Psychobike banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put gsxr 1000 rims on my 2008 hayabusa.I haven't found good info on this. Can it be done, What has to be done it, who has done it. What year gsxr 1000 rims, what rotors, what calipers. All help would be great. What kind of weight savings are we talking about

This is my first post or thread so hello to everyone and thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Im pretty sure there is a thread about this if you search around. I know there is a thread on here about gixxer wheels on a gen 2. Im pretty sure you just need a spacer kit. Im sure more people will post up. :2thumbs:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I dont think there is any benefit to it. The wheels on the Gen 2 Busa's and the GSXR 1000's are virtually the same, with the exception of the slight arc in the Gen 2 spokes. I would think there is no weight gain by changing them. The only difference would be the look of the spokes. The Gen 1's see a slight wieght savings due to the "bulkyness" of the gen 1 wheels.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I dont think there is any benefit to it. The wheels on the Gen 2 Busa's and the GSXR 1000's are virtually the same, with the exception of the slight arc in the Gen 2 spokes. I would think there is no weight gain by changing them. The only difference would be the look of the spokes. The Gen 1's see a slight wieght savings due to the "bulkyness" of the gen 1 wheels.
x2:applause:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Between Gen 2 Busa wheels and 05-08 GSXR 1000 wheels?? WOW, I would have never guessed they were that much lighter, there practically the same wheel, with the spokes twisted instead of straight.
They are not the same wheel at all:buttrock: You can look and tell the difference in person, and the 09 Gsx1000 wheels (Look) exactly like the 08-10 Busa wheels but are lighter as well.....I hope this helps and clears all that up:buttrock:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Didn't know there was that big of a weight difference. Good to know. Personally, I like the look of the 1K wheels better. By the way, will someone who has made this swap answer the original question.

·
Registered
241 Posts
:QUOTE=toybox;423590]Didn't know there was that big of a weight difference. Good to know. Personally, I like the look of the 1K wheels better. By the way, will someone who has made this swap answer the original question.[/QUOTE]

Check out zook over in the classified section. He is in the sponser section. I know he sells the required spacers you will need so Iam sure he will know what exactly has to be done. :2thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Okay I weighed my 07 1K Rear wheel with no sprocket with a Michelin Power Pure and my 08 Busa Wheel with no sprocket and a Michelin Power Race and both wheels weighed 27lbs. I then stood on the scale with each wheel in my hand one at a time and got the same weight.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Okay I weighed my 07 1K Rear wheel with no sprocket with a Michelin Power Pure and my 08 Busa Wheel with no sprocket and a Michelin Power Race and both wheels weighed 27lbs. I then stood on the scale with each wheel in my hand one at a time and got the same weight.
That's kinda what I was figuring, 6-9 lbs difference seemed like alot to me.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
You need to have everything on the wheels, all rotors sprockets and carrier, etc and you cannot, get an accurate weight with a scale from home sorry. But believe what you want but they are 6-9lbs lighter(Gen 1 to Gen 2 slightly different) and we have done this many times,

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
damn your light .:s24: thats zero :s21::s21:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
You need to have everything on the wheels, all rotors sprockets and carrier, etc and you cannot, get an accurate weight with a scale from home sorry. But believe what you want but they are 6-9lbs lighter(Gen 1 to Gen 2 slightly different) and we have done this many times,
I use the same sprocket and carrier for my Gen II Busa wheel and the 1K wheel. :2thumbs: The Gen 1 wheel is a lot heavier than the Gen II and 1K wheel though:2thumbs:

All I'm saying is I bought into the hype and went out and bought 05-08 1K wheels to replace my Gen II Busa wheels and got my bubble burst when I weighed them. Maybe the 1K wheel is lighter and my Power Pure is 6- 9 lbs heavier than my Power Race:deadhorse:

·
Registered
133 Posts
can someone pm the info to do the swap and who might have the spacers

1 - 20 of 41 Posts