Psychobike banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to run a wet nitrous system with a fuel kill? Currently my ZX14 is set up with an MPS fuel kill auto shift box. I am wanting to put a wet nitrous system on this winter and it seems that if the system is spraying both fuel and nitrous, the fuel kill for the shift box will not work? Is the only option to go to a ignition kill?

Nick

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
fuel kill is the best for motors on spray,,,,
works great to a point on the size of the shot to motor build
after that gotta shut down the all fuel upon shift

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wanting to run a 100hp progressive wet system. If the fuel and nitrous are spraying, the motor won't die for the shift on a fuel kill shifter correct?

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Ur only killing it for milliseconds

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. From what I understand, during the shift, the fuel is cut causing the engine to "stall" for a split second, unloading the motor, and allowing the transmission to shift. If you are spraying fuel and nitrous on a wet system through the shift, won't the fuel from the wet system keep the engine loaded and not allow the engine to "stall" for that split second?

Nick

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. From what I understand, during the shift, the fuel is cut causing the engine to "stall" for a split second, unloading the motor, and allowing the transmission to shift. If you are spraying fuel and nitrous on a wet system through the shift, won't the fuel from the wet system keep the engine loaded and not allow the engine to "stall" for that split second?

Nick
I may be wrong....but the amount of fuel sprayed through the wet system....is much less than what is going through your injectors...so it's almost like letting off the gas from full throttle....even with your spray on. I'm just guessing...but it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
nitrous is a NON flammable gas,,,,,,,,,
as stated the small amount from fuel solenoid on wet is not enough to
keep motor alive for 50-70 mill,,,sec
breaking point on it not shifting depends on bigger spray,,,tranny build
kill all fuel,,,,,,
or go to auto

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
every motor is different as I stated,,,,,
100 shot USUALLY works fine on injector kill only
there is no set hp,,,,,,,,so u cannot hold to a #
nitrous cut tranny shifts easier than oem
motor build power makes a difference before spray,,,,,
tune in bike,,,,,ect,,,lots of variables

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with a lot being said on this thread.

The shift kill is typically 30 - 80 milliseconds. For a fuel or nitrous cut to be helpful, you would need to be able to stop the flow of both almost instantly. Fuel injectors can be turned off this way, but secondary nitrous or fuel solenoids take WAY longer to stop flowing and start flowing again. One of the advantages of a dry system is that all of the fuel (and ignition) can be turned off during a hard kill. Its not the nitrous you need to worry about. Its the fuel. You can leave the nitrous on during shifts. Most wet systems I have experience with can't kill fuel in <10 mS, so don't bother trying.

BTW, one of the big advantages to killing the fuel during shifts is that you eliminate the explosion in the pipe when the ignitious cuts back in. The post-shift Boom creates a pressure wave back up the pipe, and can actually lift a closed exhaust valve. Lifted valve meets piston, causing shims and keepers to spit out, causing valve to drop into cylinder, causing $$$$. Heavy valve springs help, but the root cause is the unburned fuel in the pipe.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
ive said it 3 times already,,,
say it the 4th now,,,,
SMALLER sized wet shots don't have problems shifting on fuel kill
when the size of the shot increases past,,,,,,,,
the engines build of power,,,,,
type of tranny used,,,,
shifting components,,,,ect,,,,,,
then the fuel from solenoid from the larger shot,,,,,,,
overpowers the kill,,,,,
then other things need to be done,,,,,
such as killing everything,,,auto trannys,,,,,,,,,different game
"""""""""""every build is different"""""""""""""
if all u have is a wet to deal with
builder/tuner will make it work,,,,,
when ur guessing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,u gotta R&D for urself to find it
dry is easier,,,,
person here asking shifting a 100 wet,,,,,,,,,,,,
again,,,,,,,,,if tune,and set up is correct,,,,,
it should shift,,,,,,,,,
if it dont,,,,,,,,,,,further methods are needed FOR UR APPLICATION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pretty simple
every builder/tuner has found out what works for them,,,,,,
when 1st timing ur ur R&D

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
ive said it 3 times already,,,
say it the 4th now,,,,
SMALLER sized wet shots don't have problems shifting on fuel kill
when the size of the shot increases past,,,,,,,,
the engines build of power,,,,,
type of tranny used,,,,
shifting components,,,,ect,,,,,,
then the fuel from solenoid from the larger shot,,,,,,,
overpowers the kill,,,,,
then other things need to be done,,,,,
such as killing everything,,,auto trannys,,,,,,,,,different game
"""""""""""every build is different"""""""""""""
if all u have is a wet to deal with
builder/tuner will make it work,,,,,
when ur guessing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,u gotta R&D for urself to find it
dry is easier,,,,
person here asking shifting a 100 wet,,,,,,,,,,,,
again,,,,,,,,,if tune,and set up is correct,,,,,
it should shift,,,,,,,,,
if it dont,,,,,,,,,,,further methods are needed FOR UR APPLICATION,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pretty simple
every builder/tuner has found out what works for them,,,,,,
when 1st timing ur ur R&D
lol

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with a lot being said on this thread.

The shift kill is typically 30 - 80 milliseconds. For a fuel or nitrous cut to be helpful, you would need to be able to stop the flow of both almost instantly. Fuel injectors can be turned off this way, but secondary nitrous or fuel solenoids take WAY longer to stop flowing and start flowing again. One of the advantages of a dry system is that all of the fuel (and ignition) can be turned off during a hard kill. Its not the nitrous you need to worry about. Its the fuel. You can leave the nitrous on during shifts. Most wet systems I have experience with can't kill fuel in <10 mS, so don't bother trying.

BTW, one of the big advantages to killing the fuel during shifts is that you eliminate the explosion in the pipe when the ignitious cuts back in. The post-shift Boom creates a pressure wave back up the pipe, and can actually lift a closed exhaust valve. Lifted valve meets piston, causing shims and keepers to spit out, causing valve to drop into cylinder, causing $$$$. Heavy valve springs help, but the root cause is the unburned fuel in the pipe.
Out of all the replies this makes the most sense. I personally would do it completely different than what I've seen posted by everyone here. What year 14 do you have?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just so you know the fuel kill can be wired to your coils to kill them rather than kill your fuel. I'd never want my engine to go so lean with nitrous to make it shift. To deal with the I use a setup that kills the nitrous at the correct time and on stock gear boxes I'm able to have the kill time as low as 20ms and all this without a backfire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we are just going to use a relay that goes off the shift solenoid to kill the fuel/nitrous between shifts.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Turning both solenoids off and on results in an engine that spikes very lean. It's like hitting the top of your pistons with a hammer! A SB6 is a very nice option for your year model.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts