Psychobike banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy kept saying he had a ZX-11 he once put a turbo on. Always heard about it Never saw the bike. Wish I had and would have bought it as a whole bike. Not long ago he said he was giving it to me. That he had sold lot of parts off of it. So he shows up with this.

Never got to see his system. Claimed it was an IHI turbo and some sort of Intercooler just before the plenum and carbs. I was going to make a plenum but may try and buy a Mr Turbo unit. Trying to fit an air to air in that I had laying around. Haven't had time the last few weeks to work on it. Like to get it running on gas. Then try E85. Jetting will be a task.
Will post more pics up soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
air to air

Half asssed an air to air on the bike. Need to trim the fender a bit. With the fairing on the intercooler gets a decent amount of fresh air. Using two small 5 inch puller fans on the radiator in place of the stock fan thats a little big from the turbo placement.
Need to make the carb plenum next. Also used an old D&D canister and sealed up an actual exhaust system.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZX 11 turbo

Haven't worked on the 11 in awhile. Finally finished the plenum. Trial fitting everything now. Put the wiring harness on and a fuel pump and it should fire and run. Then tear it apart to get some heat coating done. The guy who gave me the skeleton of a bike did find some JE swain coated 76mm pistons he had new. No rings or pins. And a spare 11 head. So atleast I can tear the top end apart and put the pistons in. Bike only has 3800 miles. Just scratched all up from sitting in a garage. Think with the china plastics kit, Rest of bike is all OEM parts. Will be $2000 in the whle project. Was lucky the bike had a Mr Turbo oil pan on it already. Sure saved money and hassle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Better get those oil mods done ASAP. If not you'll soon see why they got abandoned way back when. But as a stock bike on boost they do make some serious hp! I wanna say that with the oil mods the stock motor can handle over 400hp if my memory serves me rite.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Biggest mod for that journal is making sure you line up the crank feed hole in the bearing to the one in the case. Last one I did was almost completely choked off. Terry doesn't fix that, but the oil pan is definitely a must.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like you'll have one interesting ride when you're all done...
I Loved mine
What ever you do
DON'T use R.B.Racing in Gardena, CA.
I payed $7000.00 for their complete Turbo system for my zx11 that they never delivered!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine already has the Mr Turbo Terry Kizer oil pan on it. Once I get it running and all the bugs worked out will take it all apart. Get the turbo parts ceramic coated and put the JE pistons in. Don't plan to change the rods. This sled won't make much over 200 hp. 8-10 psi tops. If I can get the carbs to work. This was a shell of a bike I started with. Its taken lot of time to get all the misc parts and pieces just to make it a complete bike.
All thats left now is a plastics kit. And a few cooling fans. Had it running a few times now. On a stock ignition now. Bike had a Dyna on it but now box. So I had to swap the plate and pickup. Took two zx11 wiring harnesses to make one good one. Been through everything on the bike now. For a low buck project made out of used parts it doesn't look too bad. Will update with some pics. Need to put a few miles on it with the gate open just to make sure everything is working as a normal bike. Not worried about making power yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A guy kept saying he had a ZX-11 he once put a turbo on. Always heard about it Never saw the bike. Wish I had and would have bought it as a whole bike. Not long ago he said he was giving it to me. That he had sold lot of parts off of it. So he shows up with this.

Never got to see his system. Claimed it was an IHI turbo and some sort of Intercooler just before the plenum and carbs. I was going to make a plenum but may try and buy a Mr Turbo unit. Trying to fit an air to air in that I had laying around. Haven't had time the last few weeks to work on it. Like to get it running on gas. Then try E85. Jetting will be a task.
Will post more pics up soon.
Do you ever come here anymore. I need info if you still have your bike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts