Psychobike banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need some help with my 06 2 stage turbo 1000. Just build the motor with the best of everything head job, wossner piston, carrillo rods, cut trans, etc...bike is tune at 8psi on pump gas for now and makes 250hp. Took it for a spin on the streets 2 days ago and temps reach to 235F in just 5min riding at 50mph on a 80F day. Fan is working fine and is program to come on at 195F.

Any ideas on what can be wrong and what should i check??? I am thinking maybe the thermostat, what do you guys think??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Street riding you will need two fans. What are you using for coolent? If you add a little to the overflow can it helps keep Temps down. I run e85 and never go over 180 with one fan

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is it tuned rite? If its lean it will run hotter. Turbo street bikes always run hotter. But dual fans is usually a must and a faster kick on time also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running Prestone coolant, bike is tune good!! The thing is i had the turbo on my bike for a year tune at the same 8psi before building the motor and never had no kind of overheating issues what so ever. i could of ride for hours in 90F temp and the temp wouldn't go higher than 220F. With 1 fan on the bike with the fan kicking in at the normal 220....so i am wondering what wrong now and where should i start looking before pulling shit apart and spending unnecessary money...

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree with the other comments. I would take a look @ the tune. If you had the bike running before the build/tune and it wasn't overheating I'd start there and check for it running lean.

It's gonna be cheaper and easier to trouble shoot from the outside and work your way to the internals of the bike. Putting it back on a dyno or adding an extra fan will be a lot cheaper and easier than dropping and tearing into a motor

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
obviously some thing is wrong. I rode a 03 turbo gsxr 1000 around for years with a fully built motor and a velocity stage 2 turbo kit. If out riding around in 90 degree weather you shouldn't need the fans and it shouldn't be above 210.
Stop and go around town is the only time you should even need the fans and the only time it would overheat. The only time mine ever overheated was going to the moto gp races at laguna seca. It was stop and go 5' to 10' at time for 30 to 45 min. It got up to 235. Still didn't boil over or lose coolant.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Street riding you will need two fans. What are you using for coolent? If you add a little to the overflow can it helps keep Temps down. I run e85 and never go over 180 with one fan
I now run a gen 2 turbo busa with one fan on e85. It never gets even close to getting hot even in stop and go. I really like the e85.
On my turbo 1000 I ran 14psi on the street with methanol injection. Most of the time that was plenty fine. Once in awhile if I really wanted to turn it up on the street I would fill it up with c16. Don't have to worry about it on e85. Cost about the same as 87 octane pump gas. Bike runs cool and I can run whatever boost I want.

·
Registered
400 Posts
E85 is not going to be an option for the O/P as he is not in the US, he lives in the caribbean on the island of Bonaire as seen in his signature. Quick question Paul, are you using the same thermostat as you were using before the build? Also, is there any chance you have developed an air pocket in the cooling system since putting motor back in? And last thing, did you go from stock bore to a 3 mil piston kit and what head gasket did you use?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Is your system boiling over at the point where u say its running hot? What temp is that? If your cap is bad it will allow it to boil over if its not holding the rite pressure in. Remember u get @3 degrees of wiggle room for every 1 psi of pressure u build up so if your cap is releasing pressure too soon it will boil easier. And get some water wetter or purple ice that will help also. What was done to this motor? Was compression dropped? Was timing changed for that as well?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If your head gasket is bad it should push yur coolant into the reservoir when u hold the Rpms up and u should be able to see bubbles in the rad too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys thanks for the replies, TurboDan i am actually using another head from a friend that had his head ship to RC performance. He did not continue with his build so i ended up using his instead of having my own ship to save time. As for the air pocket i burp the system till i got all the air out. Its stock bore with 060" gasket.

Turboguy system is not boiling over ran the bike yesterday again and temp reach to 238f and surprisingly it was not boiling over, i did not hear 1 sound coming from the radiator. I shut down the bike and turn back on the switch after 3min to check the temp and it was up to 253f. So now i am thinking my temp sensor might be going bad and giving me false readings. But i will start by changing the thermostat and temp sensor over the weekend and see where i go from there.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would swap your temp sensor from the head that came off original engine as well as thermostat that was in original head, purge air from cooling system and then see where you are at.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
That's normal for a sensor to do that. It's heat soaking so its gonna go up till the motor cools some. Put a busa radiator on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Paul, i just happend to see your post here. Last time we spoke i suggested you pull the themostat, also that you put a second fan on that bike and lastly told you to check the cap. You did not do not one of these.
I suggest you follow advice and feed back with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny you're speaking on this. I just recently heard 87 will make your bike run hot. Therefore, I hope this is not what you're running.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts