Psychobike banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a list together for some parts for my bike, 2007 gsxr 1000. I had some questions. I had asked some questions while back, "Ike" on here gave me some GOOD ADVICE about figure out my goals, plan everything out. I am trying to do this, as well as learn some things. I have raced cars before, so I am trying to cross over some knowledge.

When using the adjustable cam sprockets/different cams set up, should I put in adjustable cam tensioner?

I was thinking of putting a thinner head gasket, bump compression, will this cause any detonation issues? I know I can mill the head, but am not wanting to do so at this time.

What is some general cam specs I should look for? This is not a drag only bike, I do ride on street, will be keeping stock ported heads. I may get porting done down the road, but am not planning on it at this time. I know I am leaving alot power on the table by not doing so, but I can not afford it currently, and do not want to plan my buidl around doing it, sine I dont know when I will. I didnt want kill my mid range, ect. What lift/duration should I be looking at so I dont run into valve clearance issues and unusable power band?

I know alot of people swap there cams- intakes on exhaust side, ect. Is this a decent gain compared to buying aftermarket?

I guess what I am saying, is there some general rules like you can run this head gasket and these cams and will not run into clearance issues, or detonation, and get decent gains. I used to race small block chevy's, so I guess its like wanting a 400-450 hp 350ci motor. poor comparisson maybe. I want a hotter street set up, good torque/hp, increased from stock, but I want in usable range, not just WOT at track.
Hope not to confusing of post. thanks for reading my ramble.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Higher compression usually helps with top end power if you want to bump it up with a thinner head gasket. I know people with supersport package high compression motors say you wanna launch at really high rpms bc that's where all the power is on those motors. Still need to check your clearances though like piston to valve and stuff by doing run down tests. As far as detonation goes you mean your wanting to spray? And if you want to do cams just make sure you have adjustable cam sprockets to go with it and the degreeing part will hAve many factors as to how to set the lift and duration. I'd definitely let the tuner decide thAt part. I've heard noticeable gains by putting an intake on the exhaust side as well. What kind of times do you want to run being a street and strip bike? I mean you can go pretty fast just by putting a small shot to it and giving it a pipe, pc3, airshift, lowering and stretching it. If you wanna be fast on motor then really head and cam are the best start to that. But if your gonna go in there and rip it apart then why not do it all at once? Just my 02 cents

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I see your times in your avatar. Depending on your weight I'd just do small stuff. Your bike could easily run 8.90's or 9.0's depending on your weight with clutch mod, extensions, airshift, lowered, pipe n pc3, drag pack and good race fuel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got alot more left in bike. I weigh about 150-160lbs. My 60ft times suck, 1.8-1.7's, And I am stock wheel base. Motor is stock, just slip on, TRE, clutch mod, and low as I can go without hitting. I launch around 5000-8000 rpm, still playing/practing. I have looped it before on take off, plus looped another bike in past. I have been thinking about air shifter. I raise it up to stock when not at track. I know I cant get best of drag and street.

I know there are easier ways to go faster, than what I am asking about. I think it is the car guy in me wanting to play with motor. My dad and I built our own motors, except for machine work-bore/milling, ect. I know there is alot of difference in a carbed V8 and bike motors, but I still want to tinker with it.

I was worried about detonation because I will be running pump gas, and didnt know about how high I could go on compresson ratio-didnt want to just pulling timming out to get by on pump gas.

I have been looking at lift figures for cams, having problems finding stock lift figures for 07 1000 cams, get an idea of lift figures. That way I can get an idea of changes an intake on exhaust side is, max lift for street set ups. I am thinking 385 would be highest for street on intake, around 350-360 on exhaust. Don't know if these cams are rated at .50, but the yosh cams are 257-256- I think 12.5 compression would be enough for that. But cant find stock cam specs at .50

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a set of cams I got from chuck boyer at rc perfornance that are 385/340 with APE sprockets welded on I'm looking to get rid of. Only made about 5 or so passes. Pm me if tor interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts