Psychobike banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance of letting old skool bikes into rst. If I remember correctly they were not allowed because thier was no way to regulate fuel. Seems now with secondary injectors, stand alones, wet kits, legal a carb bike should be allowed.

Matt

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Any chance of letting old skool bikes into rst. If I remember correctly they were not allowed because thier was no way to regulate fuel. Seems now with secondary injectors, stand alones, wet kits, legal a carb bike should be allowed.

Matt
Should be.........STOCK CLUTCH..........Have to ask JASON.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts

Matt
It is something I can discuss with Phil this weekend, and see what his thoughts are.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason did you ever discuss carbs w phil this weekend? I know of one old school that is getting put back to stock clamps and a 17" wheel right now..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't have any problem with older carb bikes, I helped get them allowed at AMA. There are quite a few older Shootout-type bikes as well as some Super Street bikes that would fit perfectly in the class as it stands, and more bikes can only be better.

How to integrate them into the class is a different issue. The allowance of all the aftermarket electronics has changed the playing field significantly since AMA allowed them. So what would you do now? Do you allow aftermarket carbs? Do you allow fuel injection conversions? It would be very difficult to get a carburetted nitrous bike to be competitive with a modern FI bike. Not only are the older bikes giving up horsepower, but limited to carbs they would be giving up serious amounts of tuneability and control, and that is more important than power. And a carbed turbo is completely out of the question. So if you don't allow an FI swap, I am not sure what is really going to be accomplished by any of it.

But allowing them to have fuel injection would create problems with the rules as they stand now. The current bikes can't change to different throttle bodies, but any carb-to-FI conversion would be by its very definition a throttle body swap. So that would mean that the factory-carb bikes get to do something that factory-FI bikes can't. If it were up to me, I would allow the FI swap, but I would limit it to production throttle bodies with the same mods currently allowed, and I would limit them to a single injector per cylinder. No way would I give them the chance to take advantage of the 2-injector setup when a Gen I Busa can't do the same.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
If we did allow them, I would have them still keep the carbs on the bike, just like the rules now have them keep the same throttle bodies, but possibly allow the carb bikes to run aftermarket carbs.

I dont see many of the GSXR 1100 guys putting EFI on their bike anyways, or else they would just build a Busa. If they want to try a carb old school bike in the class I dont have a problem with it, but I dont want to make a rule change and one bike show up a race here and there. I'd want to see at least a couple bikes of that combo committ to running the entire season before making a rule change like this.

We are not going to make changes on a whim that a racer here and there will show up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats wrong w a rule change before carb bikes commit? It will only allow more combinations. I can't see many guys making the commitment and changing up the bikes on the chance you will change the rules. I also do not forsee many guys swapping to FI, but possibly it should be allowed. If allowed it will only breed innovation, the way the original 60" bikes did. Without inovation we would never have had offset clamps, 16" wheels, shortnecks ect.

·
Registered
430 Posts
how bout giving carb`ed bikes an exemption for a season or two and see how it goes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts