Psychobike banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been having issues on my 2012 zx14r after shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I'm running an air shifter, engine kill done through the pc5. It has a new Kawasaki clutch in it, and I've made 15 passes on it so far. Inspected the clutch on the weekend after noticing that my mph had dropped from 143mph, to 129mph for 3 consecutive passes. I noticed the plates weren't saturated with oil, so I oiled them up before reassembling. Stack height still measured 2.155", and all steels and friction plates looked good. Had a couple good passes after that, but then shifted from 2nd to 3rd, and after it went into 3rd, rpms dropped and then spiked. The following pass, it tried shifting into 3rd, went back into 2nd, hit the button again and it went in. Engine kill timing is set at .65ms and shift light is set at 10500rpm with rev limiter at 11200. This seems to happen later in the day after a few passes, first run of the day never has issues

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 05 Busa 1441 bike this last ManCup race; I seemed to have a very long kill-time going into 3d gear. This occurred later in the day during eliminations. I also had lost 4mph and 2/10s of time on the run. I have a 2008 era MPS Sportbike Auto Shift kit (that's when I installed it). My clutch pack is fine. Inspecting both the auto shift wiring and the ignition coils wiring, I found my #4 coil ground wire frayed, right where the the #4 auto shift kill wire was clamped. I repaired it, which seemed to have made my engine run smoother. I did call MPS about third gear auto shift time-lag issue. Seems that it's possible for the kill-time adjustment screw or potentiometer electronics can go bad after years of use. MPS recommend that I send the Auto Shift controller (black box) to them to repair. But before I do so, I will get to the next TnT night to test my bike. I am assuming that the frayed wiring might have something to do in part with my issue. Note the this issue has happened to me sporadically in the past, but was less dramatic, less noticeable, so I dismissed it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Recently I've been having issues on my 2012 zx14r after shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I'm running an air shifter, engine kill done through the pc5. It has a new Kawasaki clutch in it, and I've made 15 passes on it so far. Inspected the clutch on the weekend after noticing that my mph had dropped from 143mph, to 129mph for 3 consecutive passes. I noticed the plates weren't saturated with oil, so I oiled them up before reassembling. Stack height still measured 2.155", and all steels and friction plates looked good. Had a couple good passes after that, but then shifted from 2nd to 3rd, and after it went into 3rd, rpms dropped and then spiked. The following pass, it tried shifting into 3rd, went back into 2nd, hit the button again and it went in. Engine kill timing is set at .65ms and shift light is set at 10500rpm with rev limiter at 11200. This seems to happen later in the day after a few passes, first run of the day never has issues
I thought that my auto shifter was at fault for a long pause shifting from 3d to 4th gear at the last ManCup. It turns out that the shift pause I experienced was caused by 5 of my friction plates breaking apart. They only had 12 runs or so on them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought that my auto shifter was at fault for a long pause shifting from 3d to 4th gear at the last ManCup. It turns out that the shift pause I experience
Same thing happened to me on my 05 Busa 1441 bike this last ManCup race; I seemed to have a very long kill-time going into 3d gear. This occurred later in the day during eliminations. I also had lost 4mph and 2/10s of time on the run. I have a 2008 era MPS Sportbike Auto Shift kit (that's when I installed it). My clutch pack is fine. Inspecting both the auto shift wiring and the ignition coils wiring, I found my #4 coil ground wire frayed, right where the the #4 auto shift kill wire was clamped. I repaired it, which seemed to have made my engine run smoother. I did call MPS about third gear auto shift time-lag issue. Seems that it's possible for the kill-time adjustment screw or potentiometer electronics can go bad after years of use. MPS recommend that I send the Auto Shift controller (black box) to them to repair. But before I do so, I will get to the next TnT night to test my bike. I am assuming that the frayed wiring might have something to do in part with my issue. Note the this issue has happened to me sporadically in the past, but was less dramatic, less noticeable, so I dismissed it.
Update to my issue. I thought that my auto shifter was at fault for a long pause shifting from 3d to 4th gear at the last ManCup. It turns out that the shift pause I experienced was caused by 5 of my friction plates breaking apart. They only had 12 runs or so on them.
d was caused by 5 of my friction plates breaking apart. They only had 12 runs or so on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.