Psychobike banner

1 - 20 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to begin the preliminary discussions for a set of rules for a new all-motor class at the MIRock series. We have been in discussion for some time, so much that we already have a name: All-Motor Xtreme (AM/X). We have a good idea where we believe the class rules should go, but both Jason and I had so much going on at the end of the season that we could not put enough time and attention to finalize anything until now.

So our thoughts on such a class are that it must fall within these guidelines:

1) It must be kept as affordable as possible. No heads-up racing is ever cheap, but we must keep the price down as much as possible. Slightly slower bikes that provide close racing at a price racers can afford is far better than fast bikes no one can afford.

2) The class must allow a wide range of bikes to be competitive. Busas, Zx14s, liter bikes, and even other makes/model need to be included

3) The class must allow a wide range of riders to be competitive. A class where only flyweights with great clutch hands can win will never stand a chance of surviving.

So with these basic guidelines, we looked at previous classes to see what could be learned from them. After seeing what similar classes have produced for numbers, we have come up with a set of basic rules that should produce 7.70 numbers pretty easily and still be affordable:

Factory frames with 7" slicks, no wheelie bars, and 75" wheelbase

No autos,titanium rods or valve springs. We may consider no aftermarket ti valves either. Factory castings on cases, blocks, heads. Any centrifugal lockup clutch.

Displacement will be based on a weight/displacement factor. It will be selected to where the heavier riders would not need more than about a 1570 to be competitive. Lighter riders could build engines with stock stroke cranks. For example:

If a 200lb rider can build a 600lb bike with a 1572, that is a displacement/weight ratio of 2.62. So if a light rider has a 540lb package, he finds his max engine size by multiplying his weight by the weight factor:

540x2.62=1415cc

So a 540lb package can have a max displacement of 1415cc. He could also put 10 lbs of ballast on it moving his weight to 550lbs. At 550lbs, the maximum engine size is 1441cc. Liter bikes would probably need a minimum weight of maybe 460lbs no matter what the engine size.

So for a very basic list of the rules, here is a summary to put forth to everyone for discussion:

• Factory Frames
  • No titanium rods, valve springs, maybe no aftermarket Ti valves
  • Displacement to Weight ratio of 2.62cc/lb
  • Absolute minimum weight 460lbs
  • No autos
  • Carbs or FI allowed
  • Any centrifugal clutch
  • Push-button start
  • Spec Fuel (To be determined later)
  • Front & rear Brakes required
  • 3" Ground Clearance

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Nice job fellas......1640 with any ignition system for me.
640 lbs baby.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say stock frame does that mean no modifications? Stock trees?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
The exact limitations of the frame have not really been finalized. When I stated stock frame, I was more trying to indicate no chrome-moly aftermarket frames.

And definitely not stock trees. Aftermarket front ends would be allowed. But I believe that the small-to-average size rider would not really need aftermarket forks, he would be good with stock forks.

·
Premium Member
6,357 Posts
Cough Cough , what that mean for 1000's? just wondering cause i wanna fight with my possum bike . dont need a busa for that so where does the rules play with that motor ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the same basic class that Richard is discussing, but there are some minor differences based on our knowledge and abilities when it comes to tech and rules-making. The end result is something very, very similar to Richard, but not exactly the same.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No oversized ti valves would keep carpenters $6500 head out

Yes, it does. It also means that he will just sell it with steel valves at $5500.

This is an all-motor heads-up class. It is highly dependent on horsepower, and the single biggest factor for horsepower is the cylinder head. If anyone has fantasies that some $1500 street-strip ported head is going to cut it in this class, keep on dreaming. A competitive cylinder head is going to be pricey, there is no way around having to spend that money. We are just trying to keep all of the other costs down so that racers will be able to afford that one high-dollar item for their racing package.

PS: We might even consider a limit on valve sizes as well, that will help keep things in check to some extent also.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so are we moving this discussion to over here?
That is up to you fellas as to whether or not you keep the Smack Shack discussion going or not. That is not a MIRock thread, nor is it specifically about this MIROck class. But since my interest in this is strictly concerning MIRock, I will be limiting all of my discussions to this thread.

Besides, the Smack Shack tends to breed too much non-constructive banter for my personal tastes. I don't have time to deal with a bunch of clowns getting into it about some race that did or didn't happen 2 years ago, who is the most broke, who has the ugliest mama, or any other childish crap like that. This is a serious discussion, and I am only interested in including people with serious things to say.

·
Registered
513 Posts
But why no auto trans. It sure is nice to not worry about kill time and know its going to shift

1 - 20 of 340 Posts