Psychobike banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some 07-08 R1 wheels complete with rotors and a Vortex sprocket for my 02 Busa. I’ve read that a new front axel is required to make the transition. I’m looking for a lil info on who can make this part for me. Also, about a year ago I put new sprockets on my bike made by Supersprox. Nothing fancy, I stuck with the factory specs but can’t remember the ratio right off hand. The package came with a 530 RK gold chain. I would like to stick with that if at all possible for the R1 rear wheel. Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are a number of issues that must be dealt with when swapping wheels like you are talking about. For starters, the Busa has 28mm axles front and rear, while the R1 has either 20 or 25mm, I am not sure exactly which one for that year model. If you have wheels with bigger bearings than the axles, that problem is not too difficult as a simple set of reducers will fix the issue.

But what you have is the opposite, with the axle bigger than the wheel. This is no small task to deal with, as there is no easy way to make them mate together. The front wheel can usually be handled with a custom axle the length of the Busa, but with the diameter of the R1. Then reducer bushings must be made to reduce the Busa forks down to the R1 axle size.

Once the different axle/wheel diameter problem is handled, custom spacers must be made to position the wheel in the center of the forks. After that the spacing between the rotors must be checked to see if they align with the Busa spacing. If they do not, more machining or spacing must be done to correct this. Depending on how much difference tehre is in the rotor spacing, it may not even be reasonably possible to fix this issue. And all of this assumes that the R1 and Busa have the same diameter rotors, If they do not, then fixing that problem is very difficult, requiring aftermarket custom rotors or some type of rotor adapters.

And note that the above are only the steps to make the front wheel work, the rear wheel is an entirely different process, sometime easier, and sometimes more difficult.

All of this is not easy task, and is potentially dangerous if someone that doesn't know what they are doing is trying to make the swap. Is there some particular reason you want R1 wheels? Because you had better REALLY want R1 wheels on your Busa, or it just doesn't make any sense. You will have more money trying to get them swapped than a set of aftermarket bolt-on wheels would cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m try to reduce weight and I like the look of the 5 spoke wheels...I was told this swap wasn’t as sophisticated as you just made it sound. It looks as if I’m in over my head. Wow, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Contact Steven Landers at Total Performance Cycles. They make the axles and everything you need to do the R1 wheel swap. They do lots of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on the verge of giving up hope. Thanks for the info, I’ll contact him asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once the different axle/wheel diameter problem is handled, custom spacers must be made to position the wheel in the center of the forks. After that the spacing between the rotors must be checked to see if they align with the Busa spacing CanliMacIzle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts