Psychobike banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told i may have spun a rod bearing. How do i know? Im just looking at a crank, what should i look for?

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
The oil pan will have a bunch of glitter looking crap in it, possibly along with chunks of the bearing shell, now black and very thin or "crumpled" up. If you can see the rod, it will often be black or have black / blue spots on the cap.

Once you tear it down, don't forget to look at the piston and head. The piston often hits the head after a bearing failure due to the increased big end clearance allowing the rod to flop around a bit. Valves can contact the piston and bend as well.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Most of the time there is visable markings on the journal. That doesn't always mean that it is no good. Next step is to measure it with a micrometer and see if it is the same as one of the other journals. If there is a question, send it to us and we will polish the journal and measure it. If it is good, you only pay freight to get it back.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Send it off to APE. They will se you straight. Doesn't look like you spun a rod bearing but I would ship off since your this far already. pm me your number and I'll send you a pic. Would upload if I was at my computer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Air compressor is probably an aluminum rod with no bearing. I would clean that journal with muriatic acid to get the aluminum off it and see if it is grooved at all. If not, polish the journal and hang a new rod on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts