Psychobike banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old GS1150 head that has been highly molested for parts over the years.. No cams, missing a few cam caps,some valves,springs, rockers mostly gone... Question is, is it worth even trying to sell?..or scrap yard it?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Not without the cam caps. All the other stuff ain't a problem. If someone can get some caps that will fit and not lock the cam then u can do it. I've seen it done on gs stuff but this was years ago when there were more parts around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Yeah that was my huge concern was those cam caps..Cleaning garage of motor parts I been keeping for god knows why.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If u can get a assortment of caps put some cams in it and gauge your tolerance if they are in spec yur good. I don't know if they can b line bored to work or not on those but if so that's a option also but at that point you'll have to give it away cause of the cost of the work lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
How much would you want for the head as is? I can be reached at 714--356-784 five.
Ray.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not to jack your post just trying to get this clear, if I have a 1150 head, I can use caps from another 1150 head ? I have been told many times the head and caps were a set couldn't use caps from another head.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's best to have them line honed correctly. Most will simply leave out the dowel pins and as long as the cams rotate freely when stripped it should be fine. HMP line hones them if you want to be 100 percent sure. 508-366-1455 Rick Stetson/HMP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Back when Spiderman ran the 16 valve heads, everytime he killed a head he would take the caps off and throw them in a box. Whenever we got a GS head with missing caps, I would call Larry and he would send me the box. WE would keep trying caps until we found some that worked, then ship the rest back. No idea how many times that box criss crossed the USA.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to jack your post just trying to get this clear, if I have a 1150 head, I can use caps from another 1150 head ? I have been told many times the head and caps were a set couldn't use caps from another head.
HECK YES -- each cam cap is not perfectly matched in Suzuki heaven -- everything has a mfg. tolerance and a loose one at that for faster assembly line . A-B-C-D non specific get some damn caps - I saw a complete set of "C" caps on a 1150 head once .. junk yard engines are fast too.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
some of the oil cooled 1100 caps work also and a certain model 750 also and yes rick does a nice job . problem is ,by the time you spend all that how much will you profit? heads don't bring what they used to .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts