Psychobike banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two turbo hayabusas. One Gen one and one gen two. I would like to have a spare motor, but don't really want to have $$$$$ two spare motors.
Trying to decide if I should take the gen one and set it up to be gen two so I can swap motors back and forth between bikes. Just have to put a gen 2 plenum on it and a custom set of gen 2 throttle bodies for a single set of injectors. Or I could swap plenum and tb on that bike depending if I put a gen one or gen two motor in it. I could but don't really want to swap heads on the bottom end depending on what bike the motor goes in. Then I would have to change the magneto rotor too for the pickup??
Don't know what would be the easiest solution. All I have ben racing and building is gen 2 motors. The bike with gen one motor is new.
I guess I don't have to have spare motors. Just race the other bike while the other one is getting fixed...
Looking for ideas.
Thank you
Jeremy

·
Registered
959 Posts
convert the gen 1 to gen 2 ecu etc
my converted gen 1 runs gen 1 tbs with secondarys in plenum
rotor can be converted with removing a tooth, just dont mix the gen 1 and 2 stators, they need to go with the right rotor

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gen one has a motec m400 and ams 2000. the gen 2 is using ecu editor and ams 2000. I have thought about putting a standalone on the gen 2, but I already have a lot of money into these bikes and the one with gen 2 and ecu editor is running fine. I have thought of trying a ft500, ms3 pro, aem, etc.. as a budget standalone. It would be nice to have a motec on both bikes, but damn... $$$$. I am going cut seat rail, 71", and a slick on the gen 2 this year. That is all the planed changes to it for this year. I need a new house.
I don't even have the gen one with motec in my hands yet. ****ing shipping companies. I am sure the motec could easily be configured and set to run the gen 2 crank trigger.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
nlr has a clamp to put gen1 throttle bodies on a gen2 head. not sure how much hp would be lost. i almost converted my gen2 to a gen1 head and throttle bodies. but ended up keeping it. would of cost 2000 to switch it over and i never had issues and i have spare head.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Bigger question you have to ask yourself is what are you trying to do. Are these turbo bikes nitrous bikes or naturally aspirated bikes. Are you grudge racing these bikes or class racing these bikes. Which one has the higher potential of breaking and when it does what is going to be the cause for the breakage. At the end of the day all of the pro street guys that are out there are pretty much running gen 1 parts and Motors because they can make the same amount of horsepower as a Gen 2 but significantly Less in cost to buy parts. For example a gen 1 crank you can get for $250 a Gen 2 crank is going to cost you anywhere from 6 to $800. The parts that are readily available out there for the Gen ones far outweigh the parts for a Gen 2. So you have to ask yourself what is the bigger picture and what are you trying to do. I hope that helps. My opinion go to gen one especially if you're running a motec and AMS 2000.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what the hell I am doing. I change my mind almost every day. lol. I work too much to really commit to running a series and there are not many heads up races around here. One here and one there.. Different rules street tire, slick, etc.. at about every one.
Gen 2 is more of a pro street bike with a slick that I will have a extra wheel with a street tire if the race requires a street tire. Gen one is more of a pro open bike.
I planed on doing all gen 2 stuff. I have a couple gen 2 motors as the original plan was to have 2 gen 2 turbo busas and one spare motor for both. I got lots of spare gen 2 parts and motors since I have been racing a gen 2 since 2010. I got a really good deal on the gen one bike complete and bought it. I am not serious enough and don't have a couple man race team. I am a one man show so I will not be changing motors if I damage one at a race. I guess I will just stick to what I got and deal with only having one turbo bike will fixing the other one.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybee have a spare motor for the gen 2 and if the gen one gets damaged I will just fix it. Like you said gen one stuff is cheaper. Except cylinders. Maybee if I get a good deal on a gen one motor build it or good deal on a already built motor. I have a extra gen 2 stock motor I could sell. I got 3 gen 2 motors. extra cylinders, extra head, extra transmission, extra cases, etc.. When I finally have some free time to work on something I want to have all the stuff here to do it. Not wait on parts.
I got a bunch of shit I need to sell. Money to buy stuff since I work 24/7. Just no time to race or work on stuff because I work 24/7...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts