Psychobike banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the gen 2 rods are beefier and shot peened but here's my question: has anyone out there broke a gen 2 con rod and if so where did it break? the beam or at the top of the rod bolt area?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No replies is a good thing. Says a lot about the gen 2 rod. I use carillo in my nitrous bike but now I'm going to use the 2008 rods in a spare gas only motor.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Just an fyi, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 rods are not directly interchangeable. Close but not exactly the same. Also, I have about 4 sets of them if you need some, so let me know and I will hook you up. :2thumbs::beer::2thumbs:

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I going to use a gen one crank,2008 rods,2008 MTC 14.7 to 1 pro lite pistons(smaller wrist pin)in a gen 1 set up. Heres how: "This" setup would normally be 040" down in the hole at TDC(1mm). I had a block cut down 040 because of a bad o ring groove. Fine tune piston to head clearence and Walaa! there you have it! Better rods and a good backup motor. I know it will work and I'm going to run it. If It blows up real fast I won't tell anyone:s24:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
they are? So what do they do different between gen one and gen 2 for the 2mm crank? wristpen location, base gasket thickness, cylinder or case thickness?
gen1 has 20mm wrist pins and gen2 has 18mm wrist pins..the smaller wrist pin in the gen2 makes up for the longer stroke in the crank..

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Actually, the smaller wrist pin in the gen 2 allows them to move the pin location 1 mm higher in the piston to accommodate the additional crank pin offset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I going to use a gen one crank,2008 rods,2008 MTC 14.7 to 1 pro lite pistons(smaller wrist pin)in a gen 1 set up. Heres how: "This" setup would normally be 040" down in the hole at TDC(1mm). I had a block cut down 040 because of a bad o ring groove. Fine tune piston to head clearence and Walaa! there you have it! Better rods and a good backup motor. I know it will work and I'm going to run it. If It blows up real fast I won't tell anyone:s24:
Following this... did it work? I have a gen 1 turbo and want to know will it work replacing the rods with gen2

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There was a guy showing dyno charts of a 350hp Busa motor with stock rods that survived over 500 dyno pulls. Rods rarely break without the bearing locking up first. Mine has literally hundreds of 8.0 passes on the stock rods.Just put good rod bolts in them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts