Psychobike banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello racers,

Can anyone tell me if you can fit an early style ZX12 crankshaft (2000-2001 narrow counterbalance gear) into a late model motor (2002-on, wide c/b gear)? If so, any mods needed?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Pat at APE

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You just have to change the flywheel to go with the cases it is meant for......

IE< 2001 crank, in 2002 motor, must use the 2002 flywheel.

P
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NOX

If I understand you correctly if my customer has a 2002 motor he can put the 2001 crank into it. Only the bearings need to be fitted for the different crank.

Correct?

Thanks again!
Pat at APE

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Bearings always need to be fitted to the crank, but yes, the 2002 and 2001, or 2000 cranks are the same size. They just weigh a little different. The 02, has a heavier crank, lighter flywheel. The 01, lighter crank, heavier flywheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Nox,

I have the same issue. I have a 2005 B model, whose crank eat one rod bearing. I have since bought new OEM bearings and one new rod, but cant find a used B model crank. I now need to replave the crank with a used one. All I can find is the A model ones. Knowing the difference about the crank on the A and B models. Is it possible to swap and use a A model crank with a B model crank ? If yes, what needs to be done ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm happy I came across this thread. I have an 04 ZX12R and bought a crank off Ebay from a 2001 ZX12R. I sent the crank to Marine for some repairs and for lightening/balancing. I can't wait to get the crank into my engine. I'll have the light crankshaft (00-01) with the light flywheel (02-05). On top of that I had Dave perform his version of knife-edging to the crank making it even lighter. I'm eager to see how the bike pulls once it's all back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts