Psychobike banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After speaking to a few friends is anyone having issues with gravity fed downdraft electrons going lean on the hit? Are mist guys gravity feeding the carbs or using high pressure seats and using a pump?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
After speaking to a few friends is anyone having issues with gravity fed downdraft electrons going lean on the hit? Are mist guys gravity feeding the carbs or using high pressure seats and using a pump?
Out of all the ones I've done both ways, no issues like that the way I do it. If your tank and lines are setup correctly you shouldn't have a problem as long as there's no problem with the Carbs themselves. I've seen some that were mishandled and the float levels were incorrect cause of it. I've also seen poor fuel tank setup cause many problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
downdrafts

Out of all the ones I've done both ways, no issues like that the way I do it. If your tank and lines are setup correctly you shouldn't have a problem as long as there's no problem with the Carbs themselves. I've seen some that were mishandled and the float levels were incorrect cause of it. I've also seen poor fuel tank setup cause many problems.
Do u prefer with or without a fuel pump.. i already have a good pump on the bike for the nitrous side.. i can run the engine and nitrous with this pump.. just need to add a bunch of plumbing.. instead of one return regulator ill have a log with a deadhead 4port for the carbs a deadhead for the nitrous and a return regulator on the back of the log controlling line pressure.. and ill need high pressure seats.. all adding about $4-500 to my setup... the crazy angle of the carbs without a pump just seems wrong..

·
Registered
551 Posts
put up some pics.

I have seen lectrons go lean because the fuel got to the back of the float bowl and there was hardy any fuel at the pickup

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Do u prefer with or without a fuel pump.. i already have a good pump on the bike for the nitrous side.. i can run the engine and nitrous with this pump.. just need to add a bunch of plumbing.. instead of one return regulator ill have a log with a deadhead 4port for the carbs a deadhead for the nitrous and a return regulator on the back of the log controlling line pressure.. and ill need high pressure seats.. all adding about $4-500 to my setup... the crazy angle of the carbs without a pump just seems wrong..[/Q

I'd rather do gravity that's setup correctly.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ditto, i had nothing but issues when i had a pump setup, even with a bleed going back to the tank. I lost a money race at the end of 2012 when one of them overflowed at the starting line because of that damn pump. I never got to the stage the bike, and dude rode off with my money. Needless to say, that was the last time I ran a pump setup. And yes, I have the high pressure seats. It's a non issue now.

i'm certainly not saying it wont work, but i would plan on a few headaches though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
takes a real good regulator to control fuel pressure that low psi with a bigger pump.. thanks for all the input.. now its time to make a bad decision..lol...should just change to fuel injection and really complicate my life

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Getting low enough pressure with enough fuel flow can be a problem. Even with the high pressure needle and seat combo it still could blow the needles if pressure went higher than 1 psi. Static is one thing, a running engine plus G-force and harmonics is something else. If it didn't blow them while sitting on the line, I've seen where it would overflow many times during a run. That's why too much info for nothing but figured I'd head off bad press for a product when in the right hands works flawlessly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if 1 lb of fuel overcomes a high pressure seat then its not really doing it's job even at launch..kevin cl,aims the high pressure seats will take 5 lbs.. i can get my regulator down to 3- 3 1/2 .. i think the real problem is the fuel climbing up the back of the bowl during accelration.. more of a pickup issue.. just a sensitive product i guess.. just trying not to have to do things twice..love to have try a set of injectrons like u guys run.. i'm sure there are challenges that way as well.. thanks for the input...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
if 1 lb of fuel overcomes a high pressure seat then its not really doing it's job even at launch..kevin cl,aims the high pressure seats will take 5 lbs.. i can get my regulator down to 3- 3 1/2 .. i think the real problem is the fuel climbing up the back of the bowl during accelration.. more of a pickup issue.. just a sensitive product i guess.. just trying not to have to do things twice..love to have try a set of injectrons like u guys run.. i'm sure there are challenges that way as well.. thanks for the input...
I have a lot of these carbs in service and installed and setup correctly have no issues. I've seen the high pressure seats hold at 7psi static. Maybe you'll be able to figure out something I haven't been able to do reliably yet. Been 1.0 60ft times with the downdrafts and data logged the fuel pressure and fuel consumption at the carbs and crossed referenced air/fuel with it among other things. Tank, pump, and pump position really effect what occurs during a run. Seemed like the more expensive bypass regulators were the worse during a run. You'd be better off having a pump that regulated itself by spinning faster or slower to maintain pressure. They have such pumps if you know where to find them. If you decide they don't work to your liking remember you can always sell them here.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'd do a gravity fed set up right and run a good nitrous fuel pump to keep up with the flow you need.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have a lot of these carbs in service and installed and setup correctly have no issues. I've seen the high pressure seats hold at 7psi static. Maybe you'll be able to figure out something I haven't been able to do reliably yet. Been 1.0 60ft times with the downdrafts and data logged the fuel pressure and fuel consumption at the carbs and crossed referenced air/fuel with it among other things. Tank, pump, and pump position really effect what occurs during a run. Seemed like the more expensive bypass regulators were the worse during a run. You'd be better off having a pump that regulated itself by spinning faster or slower to maintain pressure. They have such pumps if you know where to find them. If you decide they don't work to your liking remember you can always sell them here.
So is it better to run a pump overall with seats or no pump?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do u prefer with or without a fuel pump.. i already have a good pump on the bike for the nitrous side.. i can run the engine and nitrous with this pump.. just need to add a bunch of plumbing.. instead of one return regulator ill have a log with a deadhead 4port for the carbs a deadhead for the nitrous and a return regulator on the back of the log controlling line pressure.. and ill need high pressure seats.. all adding about $4-500 to my setup... the crazy angle of the carbs without a pump just seems wrong..[/Q

I'd rather do gravity that's setup correctly.
Can you show a picture of a gravity set that is correct . ....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts