Psychobike banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm interested in getting into drag racing motorcycles. I want something dependable that I can race every weekend and not have to play around on a laptop to make changes here and there. The problem, is that I'm a complete newbie. when it comes to how to build a bike. I saw some guys racing at our track in Canada and I though this might be something fun to get into. But where do I start?
How do I know what swing arm extended to use,
What slick is used? Does everyone use a drag radial or can you a flat bottom slick
Why does everyone tie the forks down?
Do I have to upgrade the clutch?
Do I need a quick, or an air shifter?
I have a 2014 Kawa 1400 but I want to make it fast and dependable so it doesn't consume a lot of my time. And it doesn't wheelie me of the back.
Is there any good budget build videos/ forums out there that there that you could recommend?

Any and all help would be muchly appreciated

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello
I'm interested in getting into drag racing motorcycles. I want something dependable that I can race every weekend and not have to play around on a laptop to make changes here and there. The problem, is that I'm a complete newbie. when it comes to how to build a bike. I saw some guys racing at our track in Canada and I though this might be something fun to get into. But where do I start?
How do I know what swing arm extended to use,
What slick is used? Does everyone use a drag radial or can you a flat bottom slick
Why does everyone tie the forks down?
Do I have to upgrade the clutch?
Do I need a quick, or an air shifter?
I have a 2014 Kawa 1400 but I want to make it fast and dependable so it doesn't consume a lot of my time. And it doesn't wheelie me of the back.
Is there any good budget build videos/ forums out there that there that you could recommend?

Any and all help would be muchly appreciated
I have never seen a budget build on a true drag bike. By the time you buy a clutch, air shift setup, shock, tires, fork work, safety devices, dyno & tuning, leathers, helmet, boots, gloves time you are talking thousands of dollars

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I wanted to maybe start off with a few things. What should I start with? Swing arm and Slick ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would you be bracket/ET racing? Assuming you have appropriate gear and a tether installed, you could start with a swingarm or swingarm extensions. Tying down the front end helps and is easy. Rig up an adjustable shift light, you can short-shift until you get used to things. If the strip is well prepared your existing tire might work for awhile. Consider a 2-step. Nothing says you have to spend tons of money right off the bat, it's probably more important to get some runs under your belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you be bracket/ET racing? Assuming you have appropriate gear and a tether installed, you could start with a swingarm or swingarm extensions. Tying down the front end helps and is easy. Rig up an adjustable shift light, you can short-shift until you get used to things. If the strip is well prepared your existing tire might work for awhile. Consider a 2-step. Nothing says you have to spend tons of money right off the bat, it's probably more important to get some runs under your belt.
Hey Frank
Thanks for the response, no tether, what would I use for a swingarm? is there someone who sells these tethers? So such a newbie but I just want to go out to the track and make a couple of runs every weekend type thing. What is a 2 step?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,

Sorry I missed your other questions, I thought I had notifications enabled. You can get tethers at various speed shops, ex: https://store.schnitzracing.com/pmr-easy-mount-stealth-tether-kill-switch/ or ebay etc. I don't know for sure but suspect the ignition needs to be grounded to shut off the engine. Double-check with the seller that it will work for your bike. They may or may not be required at your local track (ours does require them), best to check in advance.

I've seen swingarm extensions on ebay and sportbike speciality shops, just do a search. They're bolt-ons, you would need a different chain or add links. They're not absolutely necessary but make it harder to wheelie.

A 2-step is an adjustable kill-switch: you set the lower limit for your launch rpm and the upper limit for a red line. Say you want to launch at 5K rpm: you hit the button, hold the throttle open and the engine won't exceed 5K rpm. It will typically improve consistency, that's the farting and popping sound you hear just before a launch. If you're not that serious and just want to play, I would just tie down the front end and hit the strip. Start launching at 4K rpm or whatever engine speed you feel you can handle. Look on youtube for "how to dragrace your motorcycle" type of videos.

Where are you and what is your local track? 1/8-mile or 1/4-mile?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Frank
Thanks for the info, I race at Saskatoon International Raceway in Saskatchewan and it is 1/4 mile

·
Registered
46 Posts
I race my turbo GSXR 1000 at SIR fairly regularly. If you need a hand with anything or would like some info on parts, send me a private message.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts