Psychobike banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to cbr's (always loved Honda's and the look of the cbr's), and I recently picked up a very nice 2006 model. It's pretty much stock, but I intend to change that over the winter and put a hurting on some gixxers, busas, and zx14's. Yes, I've owned a built gen 1 busa and a turbocharged gixxer 1000, so I'm very familiar with them. I like being different, so I want to build my cbr to run over the vast majority of street bikes I run into.

so....has anyone built an 06-07 cbr with more than 170whp (on a reputable dyno) and care to share the build details and parts selection? Please dont come telling me your bike made 170whp with a full exhaust and some magical tune! Ive built all my bikes and dyno'd them, I know what real-world numbers are! For instance, 04-05 zx10r's make ~145whp on a realistic dyno, and that;s with a full arrow exhaust and mapped pc3.....same dyno my carpenter head and cam busa made 180whp with a full yoshimura exhaust (rs3)....turbo 03 gixxer made 200whp with 6psi on a dyno im a little optimistic about, so I'm not looking for bragging rights, I just want to know what parts work,, and which ones I don't need to waste time and money on.

Eventhough a turbo isn't out of the question, I want to build the cbr as an all motor bike...I don't care to use nitrous either, just a solid engine. Please don't tell me anything about superbike engines, unless you know exactly what's inside of it... because I want details like cam degree numbers, ptv clearence, compression ratios, etc.... Like I said, I'm just curious to see what actually works of the few available parts out there for these bikes....as much as parts cost, you can understand why I'm researching before I buy one thing! I am on a budget, but since I do my own work, my cost are parts only....anyone have a bad cbr? 04-07....don't care about you 08+ guys....yall got big HP from the gate! LOL

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Some of the questions your asking is how some of these guys & sponsors make a living.... Nobody is gonna divulge the ins & outs of how they build/ setup their motors. Hell guys on here are reluctant to share how they setup their clutches or chasis.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys... I heard the new zx10 is pretty nasty... I come from the Gixxer/Busa camp, so I know what works on those.

But I've been researching ever since I made this thread... I've found out how to make power on the Honda... I'll build my engine in stages just so that I can document gains. I'm researching the clutch setup now... I want to go beat up on some gixxers, busa's, and zx14's at the dragstrip next riding season :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the input guys... I heard the new zx10 is pretty nasty... I come from the Gixxer/Busa camp, so I know what works on those.

But I've been researching ever since I made this thread... I've found out how to make power on the Honda... I'll build my engine in stages just so that I can document gains. I'm researching the clutch setup now... I want to go beat up on some gixxers, busa's, and zx14's at the dragstrip next riding season :)
What have you found for clutch?
I've been looking for a convertable or slider.
Rock solid doesn't answer.
Hayes website is non op. ?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When the 08 CBR1000RR came out, it was basically a GSXR1000 with a removable cylinder block. We contacted Honda Racing to get an engine for R&D, but that was right when the economy was in a nose dive. They were able to send us a cylinder head. What a great head. The other 1000s have nothing on it.

I talked to Kent at MIROCK and he said they have never raced one of the new engines. Honda just has such a bad high performance reputation that now they build something that could win races and no one is interested.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just got off the phone with tim hays. says he doesn't have the time for anything else but busa's and 14's.
Because that's where the $$$ is @....why? Because that's what people are racing!!

A shop isn't gonna spend a bunch of $$$ and time towards R&D to appease a few select minority riders who happen 2 be brand loyal or wanna be different 4 difference sake.

You wanna rock a Honda or Yamaha more power 2 ya! Just take it to a track that is longer than a 1/4 mile in a straight line

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, like I said, I came from the zuk camp... What byrd said is true... the shops are all about money, and they won't waste time doing r&d for the little guys.... I haven't played with trying to launch the cbr yet, so I have no idea how the clutch behaves. The clutch is the least of my concerns anyways, I was more concerned about being able to find the secret to unlocking the Honda's HP..... and ive found it!

Word of advise, don't waste your time talking to shops, they won't tell you anything of any use... go talk to guys like us who actually race the bikes and build their own engines because they cant afford to have shops build them either. I've already compiled a list of cams, pistons, and head porting specs since I started this thread. I know how to build engines up to 200hp now.

I'm going to do mine in stages, just because I can, and I'm curious to see what makes gains and what doesn't.... I'm doing a head and cam package over the winter.... If I can find another engine, I will build a bottom end mid summer, if not, I will build my engine over that following winter. depending on how the head and cam package turns out, I may or may not take it to the track for some test runs (street bike, and I still have no idea how the clutch works on drag launches). Ive already seen a single stage lockup....forgot who makes it, but its out there, along with rock solid.

My stock (just a slip on pipe and geared), has already put a hurting on a full exhaust gen 1 busa.... honestly, the cbr feels as fast or faster than the 04 zx10 i had, so I don't know what all the fuss is about....I dare a gixxer or 10 to pull next to me! LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
some cam specs...06-07 cbr1k

OEM Crower s2 racer JSB endurance WSBK
Valve Timing
intake 244 249 255 255 255 255

exhaust 230 240 250 255 250 250

valve lift
intake 0.358” 0.398” 0.350” 0.362” 0.350” 0.374”

exhaust
0.330” 0.365” 0.330” 0.342” 0.322” 0.354”

All those cams (other than OEM and the crower) are HRC cams and require HRC valvesprings, Crower emailed me saying theirs is a "drop in cam". Erion racing has a drop-in cam also (made by crane cams). Web cams has 3 different grinds and all require valvesprings I believe.

The key to these Honda engines is compression.... 13.5:1 and over will set you on stun...14.5:1+ will set you on kill and that's the key to 200+hp (stock bore).

Honda cylinders are not coated with Nikasil like the other 3...it has an coating called alusil (or something like that)... and here is where the problem lies.... a piston change warrants having to send the block to millenium technologies to have the alusil coating removed, and it nikasil'd.... OR!.... you can go the route I am and have custom pistons made that utilize OEM Honda rings (which are made to work with their cylinder coating). I've already contacted Wossner, Wiseco, JE, and CP.... they all said they will do it...prices range form $770 - $1050 for a set of pistons in whatever compression ratio you desire.

Lastly,to run the big compression pistons, the head and block need to be machined (shaved)... I have the specs, but they aren't next to me.

Head porting is not a big deal, the head just needs some cleaning and polishing in areas (have the specs on that too).... In all actuality, the Honda is actually cheaper to make power on from what I've learned....no $1000+ head porting job, and no over bores needed either...though 2mm is an option (and big as you can go).

ok, I've given yall enough info to get started... let's see who is going to be first to run some zuks and kaws over :pop2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of the questions your asking is how some of these guys & sponsors make a living.... Nobody is gonna divulge the ins & outs of how they build/ setup their motors. Hell guys on here are reluctant to share how they setup their clutches or chasis.
well fortunately for guys on here, and unfortunately for shops, I will share the info!!! Shops been ripping people off for decades! It's not rocket science to build an powerful engine...displacement, rpm, and/or compression are the keys....camshafts dictate the compression you need to run.... the power curve will let you know where the revs need to end (the cams can always be dialed back some). Heads need velocity more than volume on sportbike engines.... get the combo right and it makes power.

Look at the Honda engines of the 04-07 era....compare their compression ratios to the gixxers, r1's, and zx10's....guess who has the lowest compression of the group? I've learned first hand how bad an engine will suffer on my turbo gixxer.... I lowered the compression in order to run more boost on pump gas (my experience with turbo cars), I couldn't even make up the power I lost with an increase of 4psi with the lowered compression... i took it from stock 12:1 (03 gixxer 1k), down to 10.9:1 with a 0.064" thick head gasket....bad mistake!

R&D... that's what it's all about.... we don't have deep pockets and engineers like the factory and big name shops, but I have common sense, so screw those shops! I'll start building Honda engines! and mine will be the R&D...eventhough it's already been done plenty of times in Europe where the bikes are regularly raced in world superbike, japanese super bike, and various other road race guises.... but they have broad usable powerbands, so it'll work equally well on a dragstrip. The end!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Love Honda haha

Hey glad to see someone forging into new territory with the Hondas!!

I have an 08 with an 09 engine (virtually identical) with a turbo on it. I too have been looking for a clutch, not having any luck.
If you have found a real seller of them let me know.
MTC sells for 05 and older, hays nothing.
I also have a full blown machine shop and am considering making my own. Sooo that being said I am very interesting in finding people that would be interested in buying a finished product. This will hopefully be a winter project for me this winter! Thanks and feel free to PM me we can chat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
curious about the power

Well, like I said, I came from the zuk camp... What byrd said is true... the shops are all about money, and they won't waste time doing r&d for the little guys.... I haven't played with trying to launch the cbr yet, so I have no idea how the clutch behaves. The clutch is the least of my concerns anyways, I was more concerned about being able to find the secret to unlocking the Honda's HP..... and ive found it!

Word of advise, don't waste your time talking to shops, they won't tell you anything of any use... go talk to guys like us who actually race the bikes and build their own engines because they cant afford to have shops build them either. I've already compiled a list of cams, pistons, and head porting specs since I started this thread. I know how to build engines up to 200hp now.

I'm going to do mine in stages, just because I can, and I'm curious to see what makes gains and what doesn't.... I'm doing a head and cam package over the winter.... If I can find another engine, I will build a bottom end mid summer, if not, I will build my engine over that following winter. depending on how the head and cam package turns out, I may or may not take it to the track for some test runs (street bike, and I still have no idea how the clutch works on drag launches). Ive already seen a single stage lockup....forgot who makes it, but its out there, along with rock solid.

My stock (just a slip on pipe and geared), has already put a hurting on a full exhaust gen 1 busa.... honestly, the cbr feels as fast or faster than the 04 zx10 i had, so I don't know what all the fuss is about....I dare a gixxer or 10 to pull next to me! LOL

Will u tell me the secrets parts you've used to unlock the power on the cbr 1000rr

1 - 20 of 24 Posts