Psychobike banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been helping a friend who has a 2007 zx14 in an atv drag chassis with this. The bike was running and he pulled the motor out to put an override trans in and now it won't start.
We checked the cam sensor and it shows correct resistance but when checked with peak voltage tester it only makes 1- 1.5 volts, book says 2.8v minimum. He bought a used cam sensor off eBay and same thing. So he got a brand new one and still only 1 - 1.5 volts.
There are pages of zx14s with this problem and we've both read them all and tried most all of them without just throwing money at it. It's got grounds on top of grounds so I'm 99.9% sure that's not it. Besides its not that the sensor isn't sending the signal, it's simply not making the signal because we are checking it at the source.
What are the chances off all 3 cam sensors including the new one being bad? But you can hold the sensor in your hand, wave a bolt in front of it and it'll make .5 - 1 volts. Ninja12 had the same issue but I didn't see where he posted a solution.

Thanks for help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since no one usually post their solution, I will! This was a hell of a learning experience. It ended up being a broken tooth on the crank sensor wheel. There was no reason to inspect it since it was making correct peak voltage and never showed a crank sensor code. However after installing a good reluctor wheel it fired right up! Just for curiosity we hooked the peak voltage tester back up to the cam sensor and it made correct voltage...only thing we could think of is the messed up crank sensor kept the bike from turning over fast enough to produce 2.8 volts or even close to that. So I hope this helps someone else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts