Psychobike banner

MIL SPEC WIRE HARNESS

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  flyinphill 
#1 ·
MIL SPEC WIRE HARNESS???
do anyone offer these and if so how much?
i have a 05 gsxr 1000
and looking for 04 gsxr 1000 also

i heard these are suppose to me alot lighter and better over all

#3 ·
thanks, i found a guy now that does it for carsa= and he might be interested in doing them for bikes. im just waiting to hear back from him.. as for me doing it i could never take that challenge on lol

i guess the upside would be to eliminate all unnecessary wires and circuits not needed as for a full drag bike and even a total loss system. i quess it wout be worth the investment :2thumbs:

#5 ·
A mil-spec harness on a bike wouldn't be much of a savings over a cut down harness. It would make for a clean install for sure, but I don't see it being worth the money. You're talking prolly at least $800 for a bike wiring harness. They are much more durable though, so wiring issues could pretty much be eliminated before they even began.

I have tossed this around many times. Sure would be cool, but I don't think it would be feasible. Although, if I ever go to a standalone, I will probably build a custom mil-spec harness just for shits and giggles.

#6 ·
BIG MONEY....you wouldn;t even be able to buy the connectors, backshells, seals, adn terminals for $800, let alone the cost of the wire, DR25 heatshrink, etc.

It also likely wouldn't be any lighter as the connectors will be metal bodies rather than plastic.

You coudl re-wire with TXL crosslinked wire and be a little lighter.

You are really starting to pinch weight when you are looking at spending money to reduce the weight of a wiring harness. Probably not worth the money.

#9 ·
I wired pro mods and import turbo cars at a chassis shop for around 4 years and just the tool to crimp the terminal pins to the wires for a mil spec connector was $350(you cannot solder them so you must use the correct crimper). mil spec stuff isnt cheap and for the weight savings you would be better off just cutting open the factory harness and removing whatever you dont need. :2thumbs:

#10 ·
all feed back is great, yea its pricey. i seen where ppl been finding bad voltage during dyno runs, im guessing these stuff and eliminate stuff like that and yes weight diff might not add up, all in all its just to say you have one at the end the day i guess lol. but i will still check and seehow much this guy is willing to do them for and post it. see if anyone is interested with me.

#15 ·
had a factory busa harness and stripped it down to the bare minimum of what I needed, lots of hours of work and corresponding labour charges resulted in about 8lbs loss. I'm very happy with how it turned out, not sure if the person who did it is a sponsor (know he's not,ha) but am very happy with Justin's work.

#17 ·
haha you mention something from someone not a site sponsor and it'll get deleted faster than a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat. but ya stripped down harness is the way to go! i did it and you become very familiar with a wire diagram especially when the bike won't turn on. hahahaha. pulled one too many wires.

#18 ·
The term "mil-spec" can mean different things to many people. To some, mil-spec means not only using military-grade flame-resistant wire, but also using all military-type waterproof screw-lock connectors. But it sounds like to me you aren't really talking about a full mil-spec harness with all autosport connectors, since all of your electronics couldn't use these type connectors anyway. What you are talking about is a lightweight harness with factory connectors. We can you what you are looking for with no problem.

We have been building custom harnesses for about 15 years now and I will match the quality of our work against anyone. We have gone through many phases of harness design over the years, but we now exclusively use tefzel mil-spec teflon-coated wire and fuel-resistant heat shrink qualifying for mil-spec 23053. A harness built this way is lighter, more reliable, and provides a much cleaner install than any factory harness. We keep almost every factory Suzuki connector in stock, and many of the Kawasaki connectors as well. To custom-build a harness like what you are describing, we charge somewhere in the $1500 range. I would have to know more specific details before I could give you an exact price.

BTW: We are long-time site sponsors, so no problems posting prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.