530 drz2 master link ??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

530 drz2 master link ??

This is a discussion about 530 drz2 master link ?? within the StreetBike-DragBike section, where you will Suzuki, Kawaski, Honda, Yamaha A forum for Streetbike and Dragbike discussions; are you guys stickin with the clip type link??? or are you changing over to a rivet type? ill oder a rivet master link for a ZZZ (or whatever will fit) if its safer...

Banned
    xclr82xtc has made a donation to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    JC

Default 530 drz2 master link ??

are you guys stickin with the clip type link??? or are you changing over to a rivet type? ill oder a rivet master link for a ZZZ (or whatever will fit) if its safer...

2. Remove Advertisements
    PsychoBike.com
    Advertisements

Super HoleShot Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Quinn

Default Re: 530 drz2 master link ??

I use the clip link, but my bike doesn't see street duty. Also FYI all the DRZ 2 I've messed with still need a chain tool, because the link wouldn't just go on with your fingers like I thought it would being that it was a clip link.
    *Super HoleShot Member

69" 2011 Busa aka "Supafly"
    73" 2011 Busa aka "Sinister"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbor1391 View Post
    still need a chain tool, because the link wouldn't just go on with your fingers like I thought it would being that it was a clip link.
    what chain tool?

Super HoleShot Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by turbor1391 View Post
    I use the clip link, but my bike doesn't see street duty. Also FYI all the DRZ 2 I've messed with still need a chain tool, because the link wouldn't just go on with your fingers like I thought it would being that it was a clip link.
    What kind of chain tool are you referring to? You need to press out the link after grinding the head off, but you don't need any special tools to install the masterlink.

Moving up the Ladder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vinny Cianci

I know what you mean.

a dr2z master link is a pain to get in the chain. I use a small socket and place it over the pin and squeeze it with either channel locks or a c-clamp and to get it apart use a chizel type tool(flat screwdriver, scrappper, chizel) to get it to come apart.

But im clip type all the way!
    dragracer likes this.
    elbow up, rudder down. . .

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    JC

i got somethin for it...hopefully i wont even need to cut any links off if i can go ahead and get my arm...how many inches will 160 cover???

Moving up the Ladder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xclr82xtc View Post
    are you guys stickin with the clip type link??? or are you changing over to a rivet type? ill oder a rivet master link for a ZZZ (or whatever will fit) if its safer...
    As long as you install the clip link properly you won't have a problem out of it. If you want a rivet, they make a rivet link for the DRZ2, no need to try and use a ZZZ or other brand.

Moving up the Ladder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Vinny Cianci

Quote Originally Posted by xclr82xtc View Post
    i got somethin for it...hopefully i wont even need to cut any links off if i can go ahead and get my arm...how many inches will 160 cover???
    probly close to if not more than 70inch if im not mistaken
    elbow up, rudder down. . .

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    JC

good...thats where i wanna set it gonna have to learn to ride all over again.

Super HoleShot Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by naarden View Post
    what chain tool?
    Whatever you got in ya tool box homie
    *Super HoleShot Member

69" 2011 Busa aka "Supafly"
    73" 2011 Busa aka "Sinister"

Post Thanks / Like

with your bike at 70", you'll be real close with 160. my bike is at 70" and i used 161 links i believe, but i also use larger sprockets than most people. and yes, both style master links are available for drz2 chain, and you should be able to get them from any shop that can get EK stuff.

the motion pro chain tool is a great investment! you're not supposed to use vise grips or anything like that to put your chain together, although i admit to doing it with no issues.
    ** WESTCOAST **

Moving up the Ladder

Post Thanks / Like

i use the clip type link,which id rather use the press style.when i got the chain i called ek,told them i wanted to switch to the press link.he said they didnt have a press style for that chain.i asked him what he thought of welding it.just alittle tack to the ends of the pins.he said he has herd of guys doing that.i was going to heli arch it,wouldnt trust any other type of welding for this,dont want to over weld it.however i ended up using the clip.when i did it i glued it together with 3m weather strip sealent turn it to the inside of the swingarm ,much stronger than silcone.comes off with gas.its been 2 years still holding strong.its on my street bike,now i dont drive it every day,or live on a dirt road.i ride it around 40 miles a week.no issues with no orings,i do keep it clean and not over oiled.i use the thickest chain lube i can find.im using pj1 black lable chain lube.after it sits up over night i gently use gas and a paper towl and clean off the execess on the out side of the links dont need to atract any dust more than i have to.if you have to buy a link,buy 2 there cheap.youl spend more on shipping ordering the second one.you will use the other link at some point.hope this helps.mouth

ps however its been 2 years and i found this post trying to find a press link for a 530 drz2.if anyone can give me a part nomber of a link that will work on this chain id appreciate it if you wold pm me with the info

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

do not weld anything to the chain!!..it will weaken the link..i would only run the drz2 master..its stronger than other links and the same width ect....just make sure you have the open side of the clip(when chain on top) facing the back of the bike..and silicone on the clip after its installed is a good idea..most dont put the clip the right way or install link correct thats why it fails..a c clamp and a small socket that fits over the pins works also..
    STREETDRAG and Gov1441 like this.
    " RUN YOUR BIKE.......NOT YOUR MOUTH!!!"

15. Thanks Mr.Grey thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    JOSH KELLER

Been usin drz2 clip master links for years no problems. I hate when guys always walk up when I'm messing with a chain and say that I shouldn't run a clip style link because my chain will break off. It's usually an asshole who doesn't have a bike that says it too. If installed correctly they do hold up. Only bike I probly would want a rivet style is on like a pro mod but I bet there's plenty guys out there runnin clips on those too. Seen plenty bikes go stupid fast on clip style master links
    TurboR likes this.
    Grudge 06 1000 - SPAWN

HMM.....

Sittin Sideways In Something Pretty With The Ratchet On Me, Cause You Know I Got That Package On Me
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    NUN YA

just get another drz2 link.. I may have a few in my tool box if needed..no welding needed. just put open face to rear facing out or you won't know if clip came off..I drop a little permatex on head of each pin and put clip on...

Quote Originally Posted by MOUTH View Post
    i use the clip type link,which id rather use the press style.when i got the chain i called ek,told them i wanted to switch to the press link.he said they didnt have a press style for that chain.i asked him what he thought of welding it.just alittle tack to the ends of the pins.he said he has herd of guys doing that.i was going to heli arch it,wouldnt trust any other type of welding for this,dont want to over weld it.however i ended up using the clip.when i did it i glued it together with 3m weather strip sealent turn it to the inside of the swingarm ,much stronger than silcone.comes off with gas.its been 2 years still holding strong.its on my street bike,now i dont drive it every day,or live on a dirt road.i ride it around 40 miles a week.no issues with no orings,i do keep it clean and not over oiled.i use the thickest chain lube i can find.im using pj1 black lable chain lube.after it sits up over night i gently use gas and a paper towl and clean off the execess on the out side of the links dont need to atract any dust more than i have to.if you have to buy a link,buy 2 there cheap.youl spend more on shipping ordering the second one.you will use the other link at some point.hope this helps.mouth

ps however its been 2 years and i found this post trying to find a press link for a 530 drz2.if anyone can give me a part nomber of a link that will work on this chain id appreciate it if you wold pm me with the info
    "The Insane Foundation"- We Want Nothing But A Lane Beside You, We Done Lost Our Damn Mind....A BOLO Has Been Issued: "Lunatic" Broke His Lift Chains To Get Down with "Mayhem" And "Asylum" Got Caught Up In The Hype And Went Off..A "Smack Down" With A "Lethal Injection" To Calm Their Nerves, Has Been Given...They Were In This MF Running Around Hollering These B%$#ches Can't Hold Me Back.."Manic Depression" Has Set in, And All Is Back Calm.Oh Boy The West Coast Getting Ready To Have Some Problems.