Clutch not engaging properly

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Moody

Clutch not engaging properly

This is a discussion about Clutch not engaging properly within the StreetBike-DragBike section, where you will Suzuki, Kawaski, Honda, Yamaha A forum for Streetbike and Dragbike discussions; My bike has roughly 3500 miles on it and a 3 trips to the drag strip. Stock clutch & minimal mods to the bike. I noticed a few days ago that when I let off

I Finally Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Clutch not engaging properly

My bike has roughly 3500 miles on it and a 3 trips to the drag strip. Stock clutch & minimal mods to the bike.

I noticed a few days ago that when I let off the gas and pull in the clutch it was acting like the clutch didn't want to engage. The motor was slowing the bike and the rpms weren't dropping like they would if the clutch was engaged. If I bumped the throttle, it acted like the clutch would free up and the rpm's would drop freely. I made a minor adjustment at the lever and it still did it every now and then. So I adjusted it a little in the other direction. Still happened.

A couple days ago, I start it up, back it down the drive way, pull in the clutch and put it in 1st. It jumps forward and kills, as if I didn't even pull in the clutch. Start it back up, this time it goes in gear and I drive off. It first I thought it may have been the kickstand switch, but the fact that it lunged forward tells me the clutch wasn't hold it when it went in gear (and it doesn't happen with the bike is on the stand).

Today, same thing when I put it in 1st, jumps and kills. I try this probably 5 times and it continued. I push it back in the garage, put it on the swingarm stand, start it, pull in the clutch and put it in 1st. It doesn't kill b/c it's not "stalling" from being under a load but the wheel is spinning as if the clutch is out. I rev it up and the wheel races, once again like the clutch is out. All the while I have the lever squeezed. Take it off the stand, put it in gear and it kills.

I adjust it all the way in at the lever, giving the most slack and it does no good. I turn it out, way out, there's no slack in the lever, even though the book calls for some. Put it in gear and it holds it, it doesn't die. Leave it for a couple hours and just now went to go ride. It jumps and kills again, as soon as I go in 1st. Does it twice. On the 3rd try, I rev it a little then go into 1st and it holds. I go for a ride and when I come up to the 1st stop sign, I'm in 1st, slowing down and pull in the clutch and once again, acts like the clutch isn't in. It chugs and bucks a little as the rpms drop. Then it gets a little better but a few times I have to bump the throttle after I pull in the clutch for it to engage.

I know that the adjustment by the lever is for "minor" adjustments and by the motor is for "major" adjustments. This is a new issue and I'm just now having to adjust it at the level, and it's to the extreme. I figured normal would be a little bit after a while on the lever before having to go to the motor end of it. Not from one extreme to the next.

Do you think it's something as simple as the major adjustment, even though it's almost like an overnight issue? Or could it be that the clutch or springs are wore out. I've never smelled the clutch burning.

I'm running Rotella T6 and have about 1,000 miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    PsychoBike.com
    Advertisements

VIP/DONATOR
    Hughesracing has made a donation to the forum!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Randy Hughes

What type of bike are we talking about for starters?
    Faith comes by hearing

PMRA 2011 Crew Chief/Mechanic of the year

Moving up the Ladder
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a wet clutch, you won't smell it burning.

Moving up the Ladder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael

Sounds like your stack height may be too tall or your pressure plate cover isn't lined up like it should be, depending on the bike
    Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

Moving up the Ladder

Post Thanks / Like

Did this start after a track day if so maybe your steels are bent did you open it up yet to check ?

Almost A Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dustin Moody

seriously nobody give any more advise until we know what bike it is. could be more going on here than just clutch pack issues, would be nice to know if its a cable or hydrolic, push or pull engagement, and so on
    Hughesracing likes this.

I Finally Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike

Sorry guys. It's a 2011 GSXR 750 (still under warranty). I noticed it maybe a week after my last trip to the track. I may have 12-15 passes on the bike. The rest if the miles are fairly easy street miles. Clutch worked flawlessly at the track.

I Finally Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mike

I was corrected on another site, because was I was describing was it not disengaging...

UPDATE:
    I cleaned up the bike (got off all the rubber from the undertail and tire hugger), raised the bike back up, removed my strap and put the stock kickstand back on. Cranked it, put it in gear and it died. Put it on the switch arm stand, with the clutch in and in gear, the tire was spinning once again like the clutch was out. I revved it a few time with the clutch it and I could feel it DISENGAGE ;). Lowered her down and drove out to the stealership. The service guy check it out and said that I had the right amount of play. He asked about my oil. I told him Rotella T6 with about 1000 miles on it. He told me to change it because that wasn't motorcycle oil and it was causing the plates to stick. I know my oil looked nasty when I looked at it through the site glass so I pick up some Amsoil and another filter. Went home, looked at the Rotella jug and it says it's JASO MA (which is one of the oils I can use) but I change it anyway b/c I knew it was dirty. Got it changed, cranked it up, let it run for 3 mins, turn it off and check. I add just a little bit more, crank it up and put it in gear and it stays running. I went for a short ride. A couple times when I let off and pull in the clutch, it didn't seems like it was quite back to normal. After about 5 mins or so of riding, it seems the problem is gone. So I'm hoping this is it, after a 1000 miles and going to the drag strip twice (maybe 8-9 passes) the oil was shot. I'll keep y'all posted if anything changes.