Psychobike banner

2005 ZX10R Drag Setup

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1fasgsxr 
#1 ·
My son has shown a interest in learning to drag his ZX10R. He weighs 185lbs. The bike is stock other than a Scorpion slip on and a 1 tooth down counter shaft sprocket. Can someone enlighten us on setting up the bike?

#2 ·
The best thing to do is get him to learn to ride it just the way it sits. In my opinion if you learn to ride a stock bike to its potential you can ride just about anything. That will teach him clutch control which is one of the hardest things to learn. Once he cannot go any faster, and its likely to take him a longggggggggg time until he has pushed the bike to its potential then you can lower it and extend it, then repeat the process.:2thumbs:

#3 ·
Lower it first

In my opinion, the cheapest and most effective change you can make to the bike is to lower it- get a frontend lowering strap and install rear lowering links. The lower the bike is, the easier to control and launch even if you do keep it stock wheelbase for now. Afterwards, re-gear the bike for his weight and add some inexpensive, bolt on swingarm extensions. Get the longest ones available. You will have to buy a longer chain and brake line once its extended. You can likely make a chain guard yourself. Get an airshifter next and then invest in a Cycle Concepts clutch dragpak.

#7 ·
He is 18. He started riding when he was a 8 years old. His first bike was a Honda XR70 then on to CRF1OO when he was 10 then to a CR250 when he was 13. When he was 15 a Ninja 250, 16 a ZX6R and finally at 17 the ZX10R. Most of his street experience has been riding in mountains with me. I would rate him as a very good rider even if he wasnt my son but he has never done any standing start hard launches so that will be all new to him.
I was thinking that extending the arm would help to save the clutch from being brutalized from trying launch the bike with a stock wheel base.

#9 ·
riding

my son went straight from mx to strip, with very little streetbike experience, on a extended zx12. his first pass was 10.00 at 146. your thinking is right and safe for him, extend that arm. the ten is difficult to race swb, and unless he is a real natural, he's gonna struggle with a stk. setup. you got plenty of power, just got to be able to use it. stretch, lower, more gear for the clutch, and set it up where he's comfortable. above all be safe, have fun, and good racing.

#10 ·
I have always tried to leave the line just like I would a stop light,except for a bunch more throttle,quicker clutch release speed,fast and smooth,seems to work for me..dont make him try to learn with it swb, like the others said I think he will struggle to tame it,lower it and stretch it...:2thumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.