Psychobike banner

zx 10 , dont like dyno results

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  todd smith 
#1 ·
we just put together a zx 10 and when i dynoed it it makes great horsepower to 1100 rpms but then stays flat there, the line goes up and up until you hit 11,it makes great torque but the top horsepower number is not where we think it should be. we degreed the cams at 109 109, would putting them at 110/110 move the power curve up, I have been told to buy a aftermarket fuel pump and that may help from bob carpenter, but is it worth it to try to redegree the cams, first big motor build and want to get everything out of it, any help would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

#2 ·
back up the timming,and run shortest volicty stacks .my 02 gsxr 1000 made 162 at 12000,i need 13,000.i went and got stacks from a 05 750 the dealer,they stook out 1/4" tall and backed 3 degrees timming out.went back to the dyno made 168 never stopped pulling when the rev limmiter hit @13.

#6 ·
we already have the short stacks in it, butterflies and shaft removed in intake, we played with timing on the dyno and it is set to where it makes best power, good advice, did you pull the timing with ignition module or some other way to solve your problem.

#5 ·
any advice would be helpful, its really messed up because we built two of these, same headwork almost exactly, both built side by side, the other bike is a stock bore with stock cams and his power curve looks just like it should growing all the way up, but my bike with big cams and big bore blows the other away all the way up the curve by 19 hp or more then they level out at the top to be within only 9 horse difference in max hp, I am happy with my results but I hate to leave a couple horsepower on the table after all the money sweat and hardwork put into this thing, any advice would be big help, I am planning on redegreeing the cams higher and putting walborough fuel pump on it soon, but would like all the advice I can get cause I dont want to do this any more times than I have to. I will get this puppy figured out though!!! :beer: :bling2: :grind: :2thumbs:

#11 ·
Wouldnt worry about dyno so much run it 1st an then go back to tuning. An yea BoB told me he degrees all his cams around 109/109. Mine did good on the dyno and my clutch was slippin pretty dam good.. See how she does on the track b4 u get 2 deep into trying to make the power ur lookin 4 on the dyno.. My .02.. G/L

#17 ·
For example my 05 10 put out 159. I have lots of stuff done to it. 2 other 04/05 10's put out 138/146. The 07 ZX14 built for drag put out 164. So my bike only put out 5 hp less than a built 14. Dyno numbers do not mean a whole lot unless you have a base reference. We had a dyno day here so all of these bikes were done within a few hours of eachother.

#18 ·
my 05 zx-10 made 178 hp with a 3mill and bobs head and cams but would go anywhere from 8,96 to 8.98 @158 like clock work stock wheelbase footshifting at 180 suited so don't let the dyno get you down.

#19 ·
the setup is carpenter 397 397 cams, and we did the headwork in house, we got more hp than any listed above is all Im gonna say to the exact number, we degreed them high cause carpenter told us to, the bike runs good on the track, but i just dont like the way it levels off on the topend, it was a head that had already been cut on so we had to make the ports real big to get them to the shape we wanted, however we knew it was to big but had no other option at the time but to try to fix what we had to work with, any info would be helpful, sorry I didnt answer back sooner but att messed up my internet and I have not been online for over a week.

#21 ·
similar problem to id say,i had ryan kallina do an epoxy port head for me and decked .012,i did stiff springs,ti retainers,thin head gasket,muzzy sidewinder..no baffle,08 race intake cam and moved stock intake to exhaust side,,,bone stock bottom end.mine ran better with old stock motor tune vs new tune.same story on power curve...looked frickin great till 11k and got flat....put my cams at 107/106:wtf1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.